April 22nd marks the 39th celebration of Earth Day. Many trends come and go and some forgotten. It is now clear that green living isn’t one of them. Mother Earth can breathe a small sigh of relief that at Grassroots we do our part to incorporate eco-friendly habits into our business practices. Here are some simple things our Grassroots Team, “econeers” do to provide environmental consciousness without lowering our Service Standards:
- Recycle, Recycle-All plastics, cans, glass and paper products.
- Mop up messes with old salon towels.
- Reusable washcloths to dry hands in bathroom, instead of paper towels.
- Fluorescent bulbs for main lighting in salon.
- Energy Efficient Washer and Dryer. All laundry is washed in cold water.
- Low-Flow water shampoo bowls to save on excess water usage.
- Programmable thermostat to save on heating and cooling cost.
- Fuse box switches turned off to avoid having anything left on at night.
- Provide reusable glasses and coffee cups to staff and customers. Cream and Sugar are purchased in bulk sizes versus single-servings to reduce waste.
- All hair color lines come in environmentally friendly packaging.
- Our Retail lines Pureology and Onesta have Zero-Sulfates, free of Parabens, no animal testing or animal ingredients, and recycled packaging.
- Natural Nail Services provided. No use of harsh chemicals or aromas.
- Some of our Salon Furnishings have been purchased at St. Vincent De Paul, a local thrift store.
- Our waiting area lighting is recycled light fixtures purchased at Habitat for Humanity ReStore.
- Local Artist Wall-Displaying local art work minimizes costs on having to purchase new salon decor.
To Celebrate Earth Day, here is a few things some of our Grassroots Team is doing in their personal time to honor our Mother Earth.
- Molly is adding 120 trees to her yard throughout the summer as an alternative to mowing grass.
- Kelly is increasing her awareness by focusing on teaching her children how important it is to recycle.
- Tracey is purchasing a compost bin and looking into plans on building a rain barrel to help water the yard and plants.
We invite you to participate in preserving what is sacred… our earth! Embrace you beauty, your green being, at Grassroots a Salon.